The National Democratic Training Committee is looking for a Senior Backend Developer to help us create and maintain a best-in-class training experience for Democrats across the country. This role requires an individual with a strong understanding of high performance server side technologies, exceptional problem-solving skills, and a passion for creating web applications.
As a critical part of our organization you will be responsible for architecting, building, and maintaining our systems to provide Democratic candidates, staff, and local leaders with a seamless experience.
This full-time position will join the Engineering team and will report to the CTO.
- Implement server-side logic to define and maintain the central database, ensuring high performance and responsiveness to requests from the frontend.
- Develop and maintain data integration jobs using AWS services.
- Implement security and data protection protocols.
- Assist in architecting and implementing NDTC’s technology ecosystem using modern cloud computing and microservices
- Scope technical work required to implement projects and create development timelines.
- Stay up-to-date on emerging technologies and apply new learnings to our software development practices.
Disclaimer: The job description is not designed to include a comprehensive listing of responsibilities that are required to be executed by the employee. In order to best serve NDTC’s mission, responsibilities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with reasonable notice provided.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 5+ years of experience in backend development.
- Experience with RESTful APIs and API communications.
- Experience with Docker containers and AWS services like Lambda Functions, RDS, DynamoDB, API Gateway, Cloudfront and Cognito.
- Experience developing and maintaining single sign on capabilities using Cognito.
- Working knowledge of database technologies (e.g., SQL, NoSQL) and ORM frameworks.
- Familiarity with Unit Testing frameworks and/or End-to-End testing frameworks.
- Familiarity with code versioning tools, such as Github.
- Experience implementing CI/CD tasks and pipelines.
- Familiarity with Bash or Python scripting.
- Experience with performance testing frameworks.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
Nice-to-Haves, but Not Required Experiences and Skills:
- Experience working in an online training platform or learning management system (LMS)
- Political campaign experience as a staffer or volunteer
- An understanding of UX principles
NDTC is a fully remote workplace. We have staff all across the country, with large groups centralized in Chicago and Washington, D.C.
Shared Responsibilities for All Staff at NDTC
To scale NDTC’s programming to reach over 100,000 Democrats, we need all staff to contribute to executing key moments of our training program. Staff are provided advance notice for evening and weekend work commitments. These duties are shared across all staff and may include the following as assigned:
- Staffing virtual live training events for NDTC which may include some evening or weekend commitments with reasonable notice for scheduling. You will be scheduled for 5-10 events per year.
- Staffing large training events most often virtually, but may include in-person events in 2023 and beyond. These commitments typically are multi-day trainings over weekends and happen 2-4 times per year.
- Participating in a cross organizational committee or working group such as our Equity and Inclusion Committee or other ad hoc working groups.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: NDTC requires all full-time, exempt employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination per CDC guidelines, unless a medical or religious accommodation is requested and approved. Reasonable time frames for compliance will be provided for candidates who need to complete a full vaccination cycle under this policy. Please reach out if you have further questions or concerns about this policy and how it may apply to your candidacy at NDTC.
About NDTC as an Employer
NDTC believes that our differences enhance our strength as a political party—and as a nation—and we as an organization benefit from staff of diverse races, ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, economic backgrounds, abilities, and other facets of our identities.
Compensation + Benefits:
- Pay: Salary is commensurate with experience, with a range of $110-$140k per year
- Healthcare: 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, and life insurance available at the start of the first full month of employment
- Retirement Option: 150% employer match on the first 6% of contributions to 401(k)
- Flexible paid time off + all Federal holidays off + NDTC’s offices close for one week for Thanksgiving and a two-week winter break at the end of December.
- Equipment: Laptop, keyboard, mouse, monitor
- Professional Development: At NDTC, we value professional development and career growth. We provide $700 per calendar year for each staff member’s professional development.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The interview process for this role will include 3 interviews starting January 2024 which we expect to take less than a month.
To apply please email email@example.com with:
- Your resume.
- A link to your online portfolio or GitHub (if available).
- The date you are available to start.
Please list “Senior Backend Developer” in the subject line. No calls, please.